Thursday 14 March 2019

Essay question and initial research

Due to the specification within the brief that our essays must be based on our collaborative work I have decided to focus on the broad field of typography. Due to my newfound interest in the coding of type and ongoing regard for semiotics, the specific focus within typography will be future type or the future thereof. I find it intriguing how the material with which we communicate could be entirely different 50 years from now. Is the 26 character Latin alphabet outdated in its structure and how could it develop through prosthesis? The world of generative type is an area I am trying to explore within my current projects. The other main area I am exploring is the use of semiotic representations for communication, these, of course, include emojis, pictograms and icons as a replacement for words. What will our keyboards look like in 50 years?

Current working title:

"What is the Future of Typography as a Vessel for Graphic Communication?"

*Edit* it is very hard to speculate on the future of typography in general so I have specified the question to generative typography and the question is as follows:

"What is the place and purpose of generative type within contemporary typography?"



No comments:

Post a Comment