Tuesday 10 April 2018

Playlist formulation

Over the past few days, I have been compiling a playlist that represents the genre No Wave. From my research so far I have managed to establish a good general knowledge of the artists around at the time and have also found links to contemporary artists. As far as I can tell no wave music involves experimental vocal and musical patterns that are often discordant. Although it would probably fit into the wider classification of rock music it draws inspiration from non-rock genres, including free jazz and funk and is centred around an abrasive, confrontational and nihilistic worldview. However, the technical specification is only one way of classifying No Wave as artists such as Suicide and Arto Lindsay are characterised by far more harmonious works. This is because No Wave is very much so an era and art movement instead of a purely musical genre, therefore these artists gain the tag through their time of prominence within New York City and the way their music represents the scene. Given no waves fairly short lifespan I was prompted into researching its legacy. The scene died out due to its gentrification and the increasing monetisation of artists works along with the development of downtown New York. This research prompted me to ask questions such as can No Wave music be made today? Or is anything contemporary only 'no wave inspired'? Modern artist are never really described as being no wave but I immediately noticed some elements of no wave within works released subsequently to the 1980s. This inspired the format of my cassette which I have decided will feature a collection of classic, late 70s New York based no wave as the A side and then a selection of no wave revival tracks on the B side. This could be any tracks that have drawn a comparison to no wave music. 

One issue I encountered was that a lot of the most famous late 70s NY no wave is not on Spotify so I intend to make these playlists again at some point using YouTube. 

Initial playlists: 

A Side                                                                  B Side
 

No comments:

Post a Comment