Sunday 11 March 2018

Visit to Hauser and Wirth Somerset

When at home I visited my local art gallery Hauser and Wirth where they had an exhibition on on agriculture and a specific room devoted to graphic design in agriculture. Contextually admittedly there is no link but they had some wonderful old advertising posters from a similar era to ones I'm focusing on with my third publication. I took these photos form some first person research:


This vintage Shell poster is playing in the Edward Bernays exploited concept of attaching positive connotations to consumer products. In this case the statement that farmers can be sure of Shell not only brands the fuel to agricultural communities but also persuades the public that Shell is a reliable and trustworthy brand. This is even more effective when advertisers attack a consumable to a human emotion as described in 'century of the self'. Here are some more less relatable images, however I do really enjoy the use of perspective and the colours used:




No comments:

Post a Comment